Pfc. Joshua Bullis, WTU
Soldier, won the bronze medal in air rifle shooting, WWBn-W Marines Staff Sgt.
Jedidiah Vermillion and Lance Cpl. Jese Shag took the team gold medal for
seated volleyball. Vermillion also won the bronze for compound archery and Shag
also won the silver in wheelchair basketball. NMCSD's Medical Hold Unit
Aviation Ordnanceman 2nd Class Selemani Johnson took the silver in the 50 meter
free style swim and the 100 meter free style swim.
"I felt it was a
bittersweet victory," said Vermillion. "It was sweet because I
brought home the bronze to the Marine Corps and had enough points to qualify
for the Commander's Cup. At the same time it was bitter because I felt that I
had let my coach down for all that time he put into training me for gold."
Before Vermillion and
Shag could go to the Warrior Games they had to compete against 250 other
eligible Marines for one of the 50 spots allotted to the Marines Corps team.
"I felt honored and
privileged to represent NMCSD and at first it was about the competition and to
get to the game," said Vermillion. "Then you realize it's not about
you, it's about the Marines still in the fight, who gave the ultimate sacrifice
and the Marines who are still recovering."
Johnson was one of five
Sailors who competed from the San Diego area, a first time competitor and a
first time silver medalist.
"I could have had
the gold medal if I had more time for training," said Johnson.
"There's always time for next year."
Before Johnson sustained
a spinal cord injury from a motorcycle accident last year he was very active
running marathons. His only goal was to finish the race.
"It [Warrior Games]
motivated me in a way I never thought possible," said Johnson. "It
wasn't that important to win a medal, but to win in your heart and have a goal
to meet and meet it. It sort of rejuvenates your body and soul."
|
Wounded, ill and
injured service members from Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD)
participate in a hunting and fishing training event sponsored by the San
Diego chapter of Safari Club International through the NMCSD Armed Services
YMCA at Lake Henshaw Resort. Volunteers provided all necessary equipment,
including packs of trained hunting dogs for one-on-one instruction. The
excursion provided an opportunity for participants to engage in
mutually-enjoyable activities, foster camaraderie and teamwork, and also
allowed veterans of past and present to meet and share their military
experiences. (U.S. Navy photo by Chief Mass Communication Specialist William
Clark)
|
No comments:
Post a Comment